Re: Clutch Question Follow Up

To: aledotr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Question Follow Up
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:39:17 -0800
aledo---The early TR6 had a larger clutch MC bore and sent enough fluid
down to move the slave rod 5/8". This stroke was more than enough to
disengage the clutch. Triumph decided to make the bore smaller for ease
of operation, and the stroke of the SC was shortened accordingly. Still,
having a stroke of 7/16" should be enough to disengage the clutch.
(That's all mine ever moved, with an inch of pedal left over at the
floor) Your problem seems to still be internal. I'd question the
integrity of the fork pin, or in extreme cases, the crankshaft is able
to move fore and aft too much.

Dick
'73
L.A.

From:
aledotr6@aol.com

  A few days ago I had questioned what the full range of motion
should be on the slave cylinder push rod. Thanks for all of the
comments. I wanted to clarify that the fork is not broken, as it was
replaced when everything else was replaced. It is really a completely
new system. I was beginning to think I had installed the fork and
bearing incorrectly, because I couldn't get more that 7/16 movement out
of the pushrod and there was always extra rearward movement left on the
lever. So, as a test, I put a spacer (the old slave cylinder piston,
with the end knob cut off) in front of the piston. This took up all of
the slack, allowing no rearward motion of the lever. Then, when my son
pressed the pedal, I measured the movement again. Still only 7/16. So
now I'm thinking this is all I'm going to get out of this master/slave
combination.
Does this sound right? I read somewhere you need at least 5/8. I'm 3/16
short. Does anyone know what the pushrod movement distance should be
with a full stroke of the master? It could be calculated, if the volumes
and master cylinder stroke were known.