RE: footwell heat

To: <samuelsma@aol.com>
Subject: RE: footwell heat
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:59:48 -0700
        Michael:

        A couple of thoughts:

        The heater knob is not connected to your damper, or...
        It is connected to the damper, but it is connected in the wrong
position so that the damper never actually closes.

        Either one of these will allow fresh air to move through the
heater core and into the car. So verify that the heater knob is PROPERLY
connected to your damper.

        Also, your heater valve is probably not closing or broken (they
get old and fall apart, kinda like me). Verify that with the temperature
knob fully in, the heater valve is FULLY closed. (On the passenger side
of the head. You can't miss it, it has a hose running from the firewall
past the battery to the valve. It will also have a cable from the dash
going to it.)
        If you wish to tinker, you can drill out the rivet holding the
valve together, and then twist it apart. Inspect and clean it, or if the
internal diaphragm is torn replace the whole thing (cheap!!!).
Reassemble and install a new pop rivet.

        Vance