footwell heat

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: footwell heat
From: samuelsma@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:13:16 -0400
Listers:

I took my '76 on a 2-way trip to my suburban office yesterday.  It was the
first significant drive since I got the car back from its lengthy stay in the
shop.  It was about 92 degrees out.  The trip was about 15-20 miles each way.

Soon after setting out, I noticed that my right foot felt toasty.  I put my
hand down in that area, and felt considerable heat coming from the area of the
transmission tunnel near the firewall.  I thought that maybe I was getting
actual heat from the heater, so I pulled the heater knob out and pushed it in
again.  The heat was unchanged.  I have never actually used the heater before
(this is Miami, after all), but I did find a ventilation hose under the dash
near my left knee that was blowing fresh, unheated air.  I didn't find the vent
until after I played with the heater knob, but I think that I got normal heat
from the vents at the right knob position, and that it went away when I put the
knob back in.

While my car was in the shop, the transmission cover was removed, then the
trans was pulled to work on the clutch.  It was reassembled after and the
carpeting was put back.  It looks the same now as it did before the work.  What
confuses me is that I have driven the car on this same trip in similar weather
before, and I don't remember any unusual warmth in the footwell.

Finally, the coolant temp remained rock-steady just below the midpoint on the
gauge the entire time, so the motor was not running particularly warm.

Ideas?  Thanks!

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U