RE: chewed up countershaft

To: "Mark" <whitetr6@gmail.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: chewed up countershaft
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:34:10 -0700
        Robert:

        Not to worry about the scored surface. If you replace the
bearing with
the solid cage variety, then the bearing will not be riding on the
scored surface
but on the outer race, and everything will work fine. The problem is
getting the
old bearing out, as the outer race is hardened and a booger to remove. A
small
grind stone and a Dremel would make short work of it, probably. May take
a couple
of grind stones though, as that bearing race is HARD.
        I would think a bearing supplier would be able to work with you
to find a
suitable bearing if you have it bored, HOWEVER you need to find the
bearing first
so that the machine shop knows how far to bore out the cluster.
        By the way, on the cluster you can omit the spacers for the free
caged bearing
and install a longer bearing to take up the extra space. This will give
you more
bearing surface and make the tranny rebuild last longer. And make sure
your
layshaft is properly hardened.

        Vance