Re: chewed up countershaft

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: chewed up countershaft
From: Mark <whitetr6@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:53:46 -0400
I've complicated things a bit I think. Once I pulled the cluster out,
and inspected what was left of the bearings, I decided to pull out the
old bearings so I could put new in on both. One the one end, I must
have used the open cage type. There was nothing left. The other end,
though, had the solid cage and I decided to take it out. Bad move. It
has kind of welded itself to the mating surface. In the course of
trying to get it out, I've only been partially successful, and have
scored the surface in a couple of spots.

So here's my thought if you guys agree. I think I should take it to a
machine shop and have them clean out the old material, and if
necessary, bore it a little to make sure the mating surface is clean
and undamaged. Now obviously that means a new bearing with wider than
normal outer diameter. Is it possible to do this? That is, will they
(or someone) be able to find me and larger outer diameter bearing with
the same internal diameter? If not, what should I do, replace the
cluster? It's otherwise undamaged...

Thanks

--
Mark