chewed up countershaft

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: chewed up countershaft
From: Mark <whitetr6@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:32:27 -0400
I'm trying to learn from whatever mistake I made a couple of years ago
when I rebuilt my transmission (76 with J-type).

Everything was good for the last two years of driving, but at the end
of last season, I was getting some very rough shifting. So I parked
it, and starting digging into the problem. First issue, one or more of
the roller bearings had disintegrated. There were several of the
little cylindrical bearings stuck to the drain plug magnet.

So I pulled the transmission and finally got it opened up last night.
I pulled out the countershaft rod, which was replaced brand new  a
couple of years ago, and it has the same chewed away condition the old
one had developed, as if it had been turned on a lathe, except of
course not that smooth or even. There is no damage thankfully to the
main gear cluster, center bearings or synchros.

So as I do this again, does anyone have a suggestion as to what I
might have done wrong that would have caused the bearing to explode
and the countershaft to get chewed up? I do only normal non-aggressive
driving - no autocross, no racing, no jackrabbit starts.

--
Mark