stuck in first gear

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: stuck in first gear
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:44:55 -0600
A rather revolting thing happened last week.  Somehow I was shifting
between first and reverse and then I discovered the transmission was
stuck in first gear.  When I got home (10 miles in first gear is not a
very exciting way to go) and looked at the shift lever position, it was
indeed in the neutral position but the 1-2 shift rod was in first.  Of
course, the shift rod would not go back into first since the gate was
already closed by the position of the 1-2 shift rod.  Comparing the 1-2
socket of the 1-2 shift rod in this tranny to the one out of my old 4
speed, the socket seems about 0.050" elongated.  The ball at the bottom
of the shift lever doesn't seem to have any appreciable wear.  I put the
shift lever back in, but I don't really see how the shift lever was able
to get out of the 1-2 socket and into neutral while the shift rod was
still in the first gear position.  Does moving the reverse lever try and
engage first gear?  Or does the shift lever ball go up and out of the
1-2 socket and pop into neutral?  Has this ever happened to anyone on
the list?  Interestingly this never happened before to this OD gearbox,
which I used for about 4 months last year before rebuilding it.

John Lumia - 76 TR6

Louisville, CO