Re: Help! Leaking Coolant.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help! Leaking Coolant.
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:39:13 -0700
Cary---A leakdown test would probably show air bubbles in your radiator
water. You may want to do this first to confirm your suspicions.
60lb. of cylinder pressure is about half of what you should see, but
there could be something else wrong here. Even if something was blown or
cracked, some cylinders could show higher pressures. For them to all be
low, yet "even", kind of points to cam timing being off.

Since it's not all that hard to remove a (freshly installed) cylinder
head, I'd probably just do this and have a look. Warping can be checked
by placing a straight edge, or a pane of glass on top and use a feeler
gauge along the machined edges.
Cracks in the head and block can show up by Magnafluxing.

Dick

Cary wrote:
I went in the garage this afternoon to prep some more stuff for paint on
my
76. I saw some coolant on the floor. It is seeping some coolant toward
the rear head (at the seam between the head and the block). There is
also a trace amount of coolant in the oil sump. I don't think it is
burning any coolant because there is no white smoke out of the exhaust.
A couple of weeks ago when I first started the engine after the rebuild
the engine overheated because of an air pocket in the cooling system.

...I did a compression test and all the cylinders showed the same low
compression of 60PSI.

...I know on the later model engines it is the orientation of the head
gasket is important. I put the head gasket on with the tab toward the
rear of the engine which I believe is correct.

...How do I determine if the head is warped or cracked? And also is it
possible that the block is cracked? Thanks for your help!
Cary Henry