Turn signal flasher questions

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Turn signal flasher questions
From: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:35:03 -0500
Another round of questions for the group.

As part of replacing the steering wheel bushings this weekend, we had to
disconnect the turn signal control.  After
hooking it back up (and double checking the connections using Dan Master's book
-- God bless you Dan!) we found that
although the driver's side signals were flashing, the passenger side turn
signals weren't (neither the front nor the
rear signals).  So reading through Dan's materials, I think it is one of the
following problems: (1) a bad connection
that is reducing the amount of current running through the wires for the
passenger side signal - i.e., there isn't
enough juice getting through to cause the flasher to flash, (2) a corroded bulb
connection or bad bulb, or (3) a bad
flasher.

So to help us figure out what it really is, I have some questions.  First, is
it possible for a flasher to go bad so
that the signals on one side of the car still work but the ones on the other
side don't?  As a side note, I noticed
that when we first tried them out, the "working" driver's side signals flashed
at a very, very slow rate at first - so
slow that at first we thought they weren't flashing either.  But after that
they went back to normal.  Second, could
the fact that the battery may be low on juice impact just one side?  And third,
if there is corrosion or a bad bulb on
one signal, does that automatically cause a problem for the other signal on
that same side of the car?

John V.
1974 1/2

Get a job that lets you "analyze" or "evaluate"
something as opposed to actually "doing" something.
When you evaluate something you get to criticize
the works of others.  If you "do" something, other
people get to criticize you.

Scott Adams
The Dilbert Principle