Re: Oil filter pressure question

To: <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil filter pressure question
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:26:32 -0600
Dick, I wonder if this could be a combination of two things.  Lack of a
drainback valve in the filter, and also the angle of the filter.  As we
all know, it is difficult to have the filter pointed straight down due
to clearance issues with the clutch slave cylinder.  Also, I believe
that the longer filters exacerbate this more so than the shorter
filters.  So depending on the angle of the filter, maybe some or most of
the oil in the filter is draining back into the engine?  Less likely
might be that the pressure relief valve is stuck open on startup instead
of being closed?

Good luck

John  - 76 TR6 (just back on the road after rebuilding gearbox and OD
and shifting great now)

Louisville, CO

Dick wrote:>

List---While on this subject, a TR6 came my way a few weeks ago that
seemed to take too much time before the oil gauge showed any pressure
after the engine started, when cold. My OE filter shows pressure at the
gauge within three seconds from cold. It had the spin-on conversion,
which should be faster, but this one sure wasn't Any ideas here?