Re: Oil filter pressure question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil filter pressure question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:33:49 -0700
 John---I recall that the filter was near vertical. In this position
very little, if any, oil should be able to then drain back into the
sump. (No suction taking place) The possibility of the pressure relief
valve being stuck in the "open" positon is a fresh idea. I'll pass this
along!

Dick

From: jlumia@ball.com(Lumia, John) (PDT+1) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net,
filter pressure question
Dick, I wonder if this could be a combination of two things. Lack of a
drainback valve in the filter, and also the angle of the filter. As we
all know, it is difficult to have the filter pointed straight down due
to clearance issues with the clutch slave cylinder. Also, I believe that
the longer filters exacerbate this more so than the shorter filters. So
depending on the angle of the filter, maybe some or most of the oil in
the filter is draining back into the engine? Less likely might be that
the pressure relief valve is stuck open on startup instead of being
closed?
Good luck

Dick wrote:>
List---While on this subject, a TR6 came my way a few weeks ago that
seemed to take too much time before the oil gauge showed any pressure
after the engine started, when cold. My OE filter shows pressure at the
gauge within three seconds from cold. It had the spin-on conversion,
which should be faster, but this one sure wasn't Any ideas here?
Dick