Re:HVDA 5 speed

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:HVDA 5 speed
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:42:52 -0800
Mitch ---I've had my Celica 5 speed in for about 18 months, 10,000
miles. As you know, I had tons of miles on the non-od TR box, and
repairs were eminent.  Having a taller (.782) fifth gear offered by one
of the Toyota boxes looked like the right ticket. Herman's conversion
kit was improved to where it was no longer necessary to remove the
differential to install the Toyota box.

The 5 speed that I have does indeed have a first gear "lower" than the
stock TR6. Possibly more like the TR3 or TR4, which is about 10% lower
than the 3.14 ratio we're familiar with. Not exactly a granny gear, but
you can tell the difference.

The hydaulic throwout bearing option is certainly a plus, forever
discarding the woes of the slave, cross shaft and fork pin hardware. The
clutch dis/engages at about half the pedal distance. In fact, a stop
bolt is used to limit this movement. (Or I suppose the pushrod could be
shortened)
The Toyota input shaft is splined differently than the TR shaft, so a
Toyota clutch disc and t/o bearing  is used, with whatever presure plate
you fancy. I used my old B&B.

All the info and parts (excluding the transmission) to do this
conversion is included with the HVDA kit. If you feel you are capable of
replacing a TR clutch, you can do this swap.

The cost of any used transmission is negotiable, but the ones I found
were between $150 and $250.

More information can be found in the FALL 2004 Volume XXII Issue 3 in
the 6-PACK Newsletter.

Dick Taylor
'73
Los Angeles

From: ms6453@optonline.net(Mitch Seff) Subject: HVDA 5 speed
Hi al,
I'm looking for input on owners who have converted to the HVDA , Toyota
5-speed . I just lost 3rd gear on a non overdrive trany & would rather
have a true 5-speed as a replacement.
Thanks
--
Mitch Seff