Bent Steering Rack?

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bent Steering Rack?
From: "Andy Schwarz" <aschwarz11@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:00:00 -0800
I think that I know the answer to this, but I have got to ask: should the
steering rack be totally flat?  In other words, no bends.  The entire steering
unit has been dismantled on my TR6 (finally) and I found that the rack bar was
very hard to slide out of its tube.  Placing it on a flat surface showed that
it was about bent about 1/4", starting at the teeth.  I have dismantled all of
the front suspension and I cannot see any evidence of an impact that would
cause this condition.  If there had been, I would think that the tube would be
damaged.  It isn't.  I can see that the car's right rear had been hit fairly
hard at some time in its history; but, I do not know if this could have done
it. The steel has not been hardened; so, I don't see any problem with heating
the affected area with a torch and working it back to flat.  There does not
appear to be any excessive wear in any of the parts.  And, before it was
dismantled, there was no play in the unit.  Although, maybe having a tight
tube clearance contributed to that condition.  Any comments will be very much
appreciated.  Thanks.

Andy
70 TR6
Renton, WA