RE: Air compressor recommendations

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air compressor recommendations
From: Kevin McNelis <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:56:39 -0700
The single most important issue is air delivery.  Very few tools ever need
over 100 psi, but some larger tools (sandblasters, etc.) need A LOT of air
delivered at higher psi.  It's measured in cubit feet per minute.  Lots of
times, they will list two cfm numbers, one at a lower pressure (say, 50 or
so)
and one at a higher pressure (90 or 100).  Mine is a home depot model that
delivers 8.1cfm @ 40psi, and 6.1cfm @ 90psi.  That has been enough most of
the
time.  For small jobs. you can let the tank fill, then use the tank
pressure.
My one complete failure was with a rented jack hammer-  I could use it about
5
minutes, then had to stop while the tank pressured back up. Air nailers and
things like that use very little air.  I can fill my 20 gal tank to 125psi,
then use an air nailer half a day on that one tank. Air wrenches take a lot
more because they are using air all the time.

I wish I had a larger compressor.  I would think something around 10cfm @
100psi would be a good size.

Kevin