Re: Oil Pressure

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:42:58 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> Ray---Let's hope that Penny is just down on oil after some spirited
> running. A quick look at the dipstick will tell you something. It's also
> possible that the oil in the pan is diluted with fuel, which will also
> lower the pressure reading. The pending oil change will tell you if the
> pressure goes back to what you found to be normal. (Which happens to be
> a little low, but not alarmingly so)

Regarding the case where fuel has gotten into the oil, virtually every
case that I've seen of that results in the car running very rich once it
gets hot - resulting in black smoke (and eventual fouling of the spark
plugs.)

The big cloud of smoke - to help diagnose, it would help to know the
color... blue, black, white, green? If it's green we can't help, but blue
is oil (meaing blowby of oil leaking into the exhaust stream (from leaky
valve guides or a broken piston ring), black is unburned fuel and white is
usually coolant... there is also a distinct smell with each, although it's
sometimes hard to detect the odor when it's happening to your car.

For the "bottom line", see my other post.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx