Emission woes

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Emission woes
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:38:05 -0400
I'm looking for help/suggestions on what to do with my TR6 now that it
has now failed its Illinois emissions test twice in a row.

I took it in for testing a few weeks back and it failed the CO2 test,
just barely.  This exact same thing happened 2 years ago and at that
time, I took it to my local TR6 mechanic who tuned it up, ran some tests
and said it would pass.  I took it back there this time, he performed
his "magic" on it again but this time he cautioned me that it might not
pass because the throttle shafts are loose in the throttle bodies,
allowing air to leak in through the shafts.  Anyway, I took the car back
for testing today and it not only failed the CO2 test but also the
Hydrocarbon test.  As a matter of fact. Both numbers went up from where
they were when I had the car tested the first time.  As far as I can
tell, there are only 2 changes between the first time and the second
time I had the car tested.  Obviously, the mechanic made some changes,
that's the first change.  The second variable is the outside
temperature.  It was 95 degrees and humid today.  I have no clue if that
should make a difference though.

So, I'm looking for 2 things.  First, I'm thinking I should be rather
upset with my mechanic given that I paid him $250 to work on the car and
it seems like all he did was make things worse.  Second, I'm wondering
if what he says about the throttle bodies makes sense.  I'm perfectly
happy to rebuild the carbs but I have no idea where to go to have the
throttle bodies bored out and sleeved so that the shafts are nice and
tight again.  I have to think paying the local mechanic to rebuild the
carbs would cost me an arm and a leg but, if that's what I have to do to
get it done right I suppose that's what I'll do.

Any help would be great.

Phil Beckman

73 TR6

Libertyville, IL