RE: Alternator

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Subject: RE: Alternator
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:11:15 -0600
>===== Original Message From jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu =====
>Good Morning,
>
>My (new) battery  is not holding a charge and my volt gauge is reading less
>than 12v.

If your battery is not the sealed variety make sure that the cells are full.
I've seen "new" batteries that were nearly dry. I've also used a volt meter on
the battery while the engine is running to check the charging status. You can
also watch the difference in voltage at the battery while switching on and off
different accessories. Engine off should show you what kind of charge the
battery is holding. At least that has always given me a good baseline.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79