It's BAAAADDD!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: It's BAAAADDD!
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 06:35:34 -0600
I asked last week about the brass colored dust coming out of my oil filter-
it IS the thrust washers.  I have not yet pulled off the pan, but I expect the
worst.  I tried to measure the play in the crank, it's not real easy to
measure.  As best as I can, it seems to be about 1/4 inch.  That's right, a
quarter of a freaking inch.  I'm certain that the thrust washers are no longer
in existance.

Now, I plan on attacking this from the bottom side, I don't really want to
pull the engine.  While I've got it apart (from the bottom), how can I tell if
the block is damaged?  What should I look for?  What else should I replace?
Certainly the crank bearings, what about the mains?  This assumes the block is
OK.  The parts are relatively cheap, I wanna do it all at once.  Thanks for
any and all responses.

Kevin