Re: Smoking at the light

To: Chris Kincer <ChrisKincer@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Smoking at the light
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:38:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Chris Kincer wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what I need to purchase to cure my TR6's smoking
> probling.  The car tends to smoke out of the exhaust when I'm decelerating
> or when I come to a stop at a light or stop sign.
> I think I have read some time ago on the list that this is an exhaust vavle
> problem or a problem with the valve guides.
>
> Do I need to replace the valves or just the guides?  Any ideas would be
> appreaciated.

Do a leakdown test. This will pinpoint the source of the oil (or coolant)
in the combustion chambers.

Once you figure out if the problem is rings or the head (head gasket
and/or valves), then you can figure out a course of action.

As regards to valve guides, dont forget that TR6 did not have any valve
guide seals from new, so if the valve guides are shot, think about
installing some of the special valve guides that are "cut" for modern
valve seals. GoodParts sells these, I believe. Also, a crafty machinist
can get you going with seals frmo another application.

> Thanks,
> Chris
> 73 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx