RE: Smoking at the light

To: "Chris Kincer" <ChrisKincer@insightbb.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Smoking at the light
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:25:39 -0700
        Chris:

        The fact that the car smokes on deceleration implies that the
intake valve guides and or valves are worn, as the high engine vacuum
tends to draw oil past the valve guides. Smoking under acceleration is
usually bad rings. These are rules of thumb, so you could have another
problem, however.
        As to whether you will need to replace the valves, guides, or
both, you can only answer that question with a tear down. Most likely
both, as the stock TR guides are iron, and so wear only slightly faster
than the valves. A compression check and a leak down test can rule a few
things out (bad rings, etc.)

        Vance