RE: Leg and hip room in the TR6

To: genehart@att.net, The 6 Pack List <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Leg and hip room in the TR6
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:59:40 -0700
I feel your pain Gene, I'm 6', 240 and wear a 52L jacket so shoulder room is
tight for me.
 The width thing is mostly a matter of getting used to it. I'm totally
comfortable in the drivers seat but feel weird in the passenger seat. But I
have been driving my '72 for 14 years so I'm used to it.
 The stock steering wheel rubbed the tops of my thighs. I changed the steering
wheel to one of the 14" Moto-Lita's and it made all the difference for my
thighs. It also made ingress and egress a bit easier.
 You might also have to adopt a different form of getting in and out. It's
difficult to sit down and then swing in. I have to put my right leg in and
then slide down and in at the same time and then pull the left leg in. That's
fairly easy once you get used to it. Exiting is just the reverse, left leg out
then stand up and pull right leg out at the same time.
 If your used to the extra room in newer cars this will take a while to get
used to but is a good excuse to keep driving the car.

 My seats are all the way back(but the runners are still in the stock
position) and the seat back is slightly reclined. BTW, a roll bar will
decrease the amount you can recline the seat.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

>===== Original Message From genehart@att.net =====
>List,
>
>I've been road testing my TR6 after the long restoration, and I love it, and
have a few questions for the list about the driveabilty, comfort wise.

>I've found that I have to keep my left arm on the door sill, to make the
width of the cockpit more comfortable. And the steering wheel sits very low,
close to the seat, so my legs almost touch it. This makes getting in and out a
little tough, but mostly, the seat only goes back so far. I've found that I
seem to sit up close to the steering wheel in a more upright position. It's a
bit uncomfortable.

>One fix that I think I could do to make it more comfortable, is to move the
seat tracks back to handle my 6'  frame. I'm not that wide at 210 lbs, so I'm
still looking for a more comfortable position while holding the wheel. Any
suggestions on how to make the driving position more comfortable with the
existing original seats? BTW-It's a '73.