RE: Headlight Conversion

To: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Headlight Conversion
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:05:51 -0800
        Shawn:

        You are correct. If you hunt a bit you can almost certainly find
the
halogen replacements at an auto parts store. Cheap and easy. I should
have
mentioned that in the first place...
        Genuine HID lights are legal in all 50 states. What are NOT
legal are
the imitation HID lamps, such as the ones being sold in the auction that
was listed a bit earlier in this thread. Some states will ticket you for
them
others will not. Another tidbit; Watt for watt, the imitation HID lamps
put out less USEFUL light that plain halogen bulbs, which is why they
are illegal
in the first place. So to get equivalent illumination you will need to
upgrade
the wattage, which will place a higher load on wiring.
        The rice boys love the imitation HID lamps, because it looks
high tech,
at a fraction of the cost. *REAL* HID kits would cost $500 and up for a
conversion and would include a solid-state ballast for each headlight.
When
you know this, it makes the rice boy fad even wackier. It's not about
performance - it's about having the APPEARANCE of performance.
        Pretty silly, if you ask me - but what do I know?

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)

TR6 Web page: http://home.comcast.net/~v.navarrette/