RE: Removing original style oil filter

To: "Robert McBride" <rmcbride@twmi.rr.com>, <6Pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Removing original style oil filter
From: "Chris Foster" <cfoster@eppcon.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:35:10 -0500
I can only repeat what others before me have said - go with the spin on
adaptor.  As for getting to that point - with much careful fiddling, I
found that I could remove the canister by aiming the bolt up, removing
the wires on the oil pressure sensor, and nominally pressuring the
steering column out of the way in order to allow the canister to pass...
oh ya, and I had to remove the fuel line from the fuel pump for that
little bit of extra clearance.

Of course nothing is that simple, I also learned there is more than one
kind of spin on adapter.  From what I understand, the some work a little
better than others as the inner flange is spring loaded (very stiff
spring) to ensure a good seal to the block.  This as opposed to both the
outer and inner flange being fixed position.  I ended up with the spring
loaded flange and have been much happier since I did the conversion; I
also have more oil in the car and less on the ground around it!

Anyways, whatever you decide, good luck!  It sounds like we've all been
there!
c.

'76 TR6
'76 Spitfire