Re: Removing original style oil filter

To: Robert McBride <rmcbride@twmi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Removing original style oil filter
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:21:42 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Robert McBride wrote:

> Ok  anyone care to share the secret of how you get the original style oil
> filter out of the car,,,  Do you have to remove the engine or just the body???
> I tried to do it today and it took so long to even get the bolt out that it
> got dark and I gave up....  Seems the fuel line/filter and the oil pressure
> switch are in the way do you guys remove them???  Bob

Now you know why a lot of folks convert to the spin-on filter setup.

The key to removing the oil canister is that the fuel pump is in the way.
When we used to bring the TR6 to the dealer for tuneups etc. back in the
day, I know that the dealer mechanics used to do the changes that way.
Why? Because about 1 in 4 times they'd forget to reattach the fuel pump.
The car would drive from the dealership right to a very busy intersection
and then die. Usually right at rush hour. When you went back to the
service manager, they'd know right away and send the mechanic with the
right tools for the job.

By the way, as far as getting the center bolt loose, look into the "gear
wrench" style racheting combination wrenches. You can get them to click
with as little as 5 degrees of swing. This makes the job "real easy".

So let's see, a new spin-on adapter is under $50. How much time did you
spend on this oil change?

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |