RE: Differential Bearings and Trailing Arm Bolts

To: Jim Davis <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Differential Bearings and Trailing Arm Bolts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:01:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Jim Davis wrote:

[stuff deleted]

> I'm beginning to realize the Big 3's markup is at least 100% on many
> parts.

It's not just "the big three". You have just learned your first lesson in
running a business 101. Congrats, you get a solid A. Now for a small point
about that... put a random number of things in your garage that cost you
$6.50 each and then provide a climate for them so the parts don't rust and
them leave them there for 20 years. Add in a staff of folks who man
the phones in good times and bad for that 20 years. Once you do the math,
you realize that the markup is actually justified.

There's good reason why _most_ businesses fail within a year or two: they
get the balance between profitability and costs wrong.

The number I hear tossed around (regarding car parts vendors) is something
like 50 plus 30 plus 10. Pretty darn close to 100% markup. If you don't
follow that model, then you are out of business real soon unless you have
a lot of volume AND you got you profit margin right.

> Jim Davis
> Fortson, GA
> CF38690UO

AH - CF38690 - I recognize that, it's a TR6!

:-)

Getting back to bearings in the diff - don't just get bearings, get the
RIGHT bearings. If the book specs a prefix or other ID on the parts, find
out what the difference is and INSIST on the right bearing (from any
source).

There are differences that you need to pay attention to. Any of the
experts will tell you this.

North of Boston and wishing I was in Danville, VA right now,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |