Carb Mixture

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb Mixture
From: "Curt Hoffman" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:40:06 -0500
I rebuilt both carbs on my 74 and everything seemed to go well. However, in
trying to set the mixture using the special tool, I have the needle set to
full rich (out of travel) and yet the carbs still seem to act as if the
mixture is lean. When I lightly pick up the air damper the rpms drop off and
the engine may in fact die. This tends to be an indication of too lean a
mixture but with no where to go to make the mixture more rich I'm not sure
what's next. I have the trimming screw set to full rich.
Any ideas? Am I missing something. I didn't touch the actual jet in the base
of the carb so it has not moved. The manual doesn't indicate it is even
adjustable.

Curt Hoffman
RV-9A wings done for now- working on tail
Quick build fuselage now in basement
Piper Cherokee N5320W
1974 TR6