Re: Backfire/starting

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Backfire/starting
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:09:41 -0400
Hi Vance,

A beginner's question...

I'm confused about the bypass valve.

On page 11 of the the Haynes ZS manual, in the section titled
"Deceleration", it says (I think) that the popping-back into the carb
during strong deceleration is prevented by the air valve quickly
returning to the fully closed position. It then discusses the high
vacuum caused by the quick closing of the air valve, and says it causes
emission problems (unclean combustion) and says (I think) that the
function of the bypass valve is ONLY to solve the emission problem
rather than the popping-back.

Later in section 2 under the CD-2SE it says it is not possible to adjust
the bypass valve. My TR250 has external bypass lines, and I understood
from the list it was possible to plug them with no ill affects. That is,
I could use the early TR250 CD-2SE carbs with the external bypass lines
with a later "swept" intake manifold and simply plug the external bypass
lines.

Hmm.... this manual does not discuss the later CD-SEVX or CD-SEV carbs
on the 72-74 cars. Maybe that is the difference.

Confused.....

Don Malling