Problems at 4500 RPM

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problems at 4500 RPM
From: Seth Glassman <76tr6@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:32:54 -0400
Hi List,

I hope someone out there can help me with my problem and steer me in the right
direction.  I recently had a motor rebuild and have a Petronix installed.

I find that the engine won't irev ( load and no load) above 4500 RPM.  In, fact
it breaks up at 4500 RPM (no backfire but definitelly a feel that its holding
back without any steady increase to 5000 or 6000, as it should.

I've re-timed it dynamically (at 900 RPM idle) at a timing of  6-8 degrees
BTDC.  I did not have the vacuum retard connected when the timing was done, so
its straight centrifugal.  I have put in new Champion RNB 9YC plugs, rotor and
cap, but am still using original Lucas coil and green ignition wires.

I have a Flame Thrower coil on the way and will install on Monday, when it
arrives.  Thinking about replacing wires with Magnacore's.

What else should I look at to get this problem corrected? Does it sould like an
ignition problem or carburetion problem.

P.S.  The cars starts beautifully, idles beautifully and run beautifully up to
4500 RPM

Thanks, as always,
Seth Glassman
76 TR6