RE: Missing Brake Fluid

To: "Rick Ray" <rray@neweracanning.com>, "TR6 List"
Subject: RE: Missing Brake Fluid
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:17:48 -0600
Rick,

Are both the front and the rear portions of the Master cylinder empty?  If
so, I'd be pulling the interior carpet near the pedals and looking for
evidence of brake fluid.  I'd also be wondering whether it had leaked into
my brake booster past the plunger.  You could also have a leak out of the
PDWA that could possibly cause both front and back portions of the brake
master cylinder to empty.

If, however, you only have one "circuit" of the master cylinder empty, then
you have to track down the leak through either the front or the rear
circuit.  I'd be looking around the calipers, brake cylinders, and pipe
unions to look for signs of brake fluid.

Of course, you can also look for bubbled paint in your engine bay, or
possibly on the frame to determine where the leak is.

Good luck with your search.

Eric Conrad

'76 TR6
'62 TR4

Greetings:

With nice weather finally arriving in Michigan I went out and fired up my
'74
TR6.  With the car still on jack stands, it started easily and ran great.
However in checking fluids, I found my brake fluid reservoir was empty.  I
have never had brake fluid loss in the three years I have owned the car.  I
park over a large sheet of cardboard which is thoroughly stained and does
not
clearly indicate the location of a leak.  Being a novice mechanic, I am
asking
for advice as to where I should start in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks,

Rick Ray
Whitehall, MI
'74 TR6