Re: Re: Re: bumble bee wire ??

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: bumble bee wire ??
From: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 05:50:32 -0600 (GMT)
-------Original Message-------
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Sent: 03/10/03 01:53 PM
To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Re: bumble bee wire ??

Robert,

In the early 80's I made a set of stainless steel wire spark plug wires from
Beldon.  Beldon sold a spark plug wire end installation tool that looks similar
to a wire stripping tool with flat jaws.  It is fun to pull up next to a young
teenager that is listening to his radio at a stop light and watch his facial
expressions and interactions with his radio!  It seems to effect every station
that one swithes to!

One can eliminate the interference to one's radio by adding a voltage/ noise
suppressor filter in the power wire of the radio and a capacitor on the
positive terminal of the coil to ground.
If one still hears a poping noise change the ciol wire to a silicone wire.

The wires are still on the car today! But the spark plug ends do rust if one
does not keep them lubed with silicone.

Still Entertained,

Greg Perry

Robert M. Lang wrote:

Bottom line - real "bumblebee wires" are probably pretty hard to come by.
One reason this is so - bumblebee wires were solid copper cores. For
"fun", install some real bumblebees and drive up next to a modern car with
a computer and rev your motor a few times! I know for sure that solid
conductor wires will make all sorts of RF noise, so forget about the radio
(and CB or FRS) with those puppies installed. BTW, you can likely get
solid copper wire in bulk from the Speed shops (like Jegs or Summitt
racing).

That's my
$.02.

rml