Re: Re: bumble bee wire ??

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Re: bumble bee wire ??
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:53:59 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 jay_welch@juno.com wrote:

> When the time comes to change mine, I plan to go to a set of Accel
> wires.....I like the look of the yellow wires.  I suspect a set designed
> for an old 1968 Chevy straight six should work fine.
>
> Jay

I wound up buying a set of 7mm Accel wires for my street cars a few years
back. The universal kit comes with 9 wires, so you have "two spares" if
you go this route.

I went "one better". I had my local Speed Shop order a package of boots
and connectors for both ends. TR6 wires are so short that I had enough
stuff left over to make a few spare wires, "just in case". Accell has a
crimping die that you fit into your bench vise, I got that too.

Fast forward to last year. I bought a universal set of 8mm MSD Heli-core
wires. These wires are really nice, and the kit includes a die used for
cutting/crimping. Granted, they are blue in color, but they are very high
quality. The silicone boots fit _really tight_ to the spark plugs. This is
a good thing, especially if you have a "real good" spark in your ignition.

Bottom line - real "bumblebee wires" are probably pretty hard to come by.
One reason this is so - bumblebee wires were solid copper cores. For
"fun", install some real bumblebees and drive up next to a modern car with
a computer and rev your motor a few times! I know for sure that solid
conductor wires will make all sorts of RF noise, so forget about the radio
(and CB or FRS) with those puppies installed. BTW, you can likely get
solid copper wire in bulk from the Speed shops (like Jegs or Summitt
racing).

This boils downb to another one of "those detail things". Sure the
bumblebees look kool, but the new technology is just so superior - what's
the point on using the old stuff? There's a diminshing return on trying to
keep stuff period correct...

That's my $.02.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |