Re: Motor rebuild Can this be ?

To: "CLIFF DAVIES" <c_davies@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Motor rebuild Can this be ?
From: "Gregory Dito" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:50:30 -0500
Cliff,

Same thing happened to my rebuilt TR250 motor many years ago - a couple of
lobes on my reground Isky cam worn near round after only 12,000 miles.
Turns out soft lifters were unfortunately common back awhile and made short
work of the cam.  I'm in the process of rebuilding it, using nitrided
lifters from APT in Riverside CA.  I am not sure if Isky hardens reground
cams, at least at the time I had mine done.  Most cam regrinders do this
now.

I did not see any mention of a crankshaft grind.  Just putting new bearings
in a run-in motor makes no sense.  How did the PO know what size to
install?! I can't imagine a machine shop doing this.  Could very well be the
culprit for the bearing wear you mention.

Sizing pistons to the bores is another critical part of engine rebuilding.
Again, if they were installed without any work to the cylinders then the
condition you state is not surprising.  Over time cylinders develop a slight
taper that needs to be corrected if too severe before fitting new pistons.

I'm looking at cams myself, but I think it best to let those listers that
have recently bought a regrind to let you know what they think.  Sources for
street cams include APT, Isky, Goodparts, Triumphtune, Elgin, Piper, Kent,
TSI, British Frame and Engine, and PRI.  Some only do regrinds.  The one
thing I'll say, though, is that they are all as helpful as can be and are an
absolute pleasure to deal with.

As you may know, though, going  the high lift cam route may require that you
line bore the block for cam bearings, install better valve springs and
tubular pushrods.  It should not be necessary if you keep the lift to a
modest increase from stock.  Except for a modest compression increase and
0.040 over pistons my motor was stock except for the Isky Z-19 grind.  And
make sure your compression ratio matches the performance level of the cam if
the CR was or will be modified.

Chalk it up as a learning experience and do some research before you move
forward.  Besides the listers' personal experiences there are many, many
websites devoted to TR six-cylinder performance modifications.

Good Luck!

Greg
CD6250L
Chapel Hill, NC