RE: TR6 jacking points for floor jack

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 jacking points for floor jack
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:27:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Mark Hooper wrote:

> Do not try to lift the whole side from
> the middle point in the frame. It's not safe, or strong enough.

Sorry Mark, this is just plain wrong. I routinely jack my cars from the
middle to get both front/rear wheels off the ground. The frame _should be_
plenty strong to take the entire weight of the car. If you encounter a car
that this is not true of - get the frame checked by a competent shop that
is familiar with TR6 frames.

Note: in the middle of the outer frame rail there is a hole about 1/2 inch
in diameter. This is the "balance point" of the car. If you catch the car
there or just forward of that hole, the car goes up nice and easy and
level.

My tips for jacking are that you can jack on any frame rail. However, I
like to buffer the pointy jack "teeth" from the frame with a piece of
cardboard (thick) or 1/2 plywood so the teeth don't dig into the frame. I
have found that the forward lower cross member should be reinforced if you
intend to jack on it regularly.

When jacking from the sides the jack should be able to roll freely, if
not, it is really easy to slip the car from the jack.

As usual, exercise extreme caution when lifting 2000+ pound objects, they
can (and sometime do) kill. A friend of a friend lost his life this way
recently. Get a good jack (no $29 specials please) and get good jackstands
that have wide enough "pads" to span the entire width of the frame rails
and you be able to jack and hold you car in safety. Use cheap stuff and I
guarantee that you'll drop your car someday. Been there, done that.

DO NOT use the differential as a jacking point. DO NOT use the rear cross
"tube" as a support (unless your car is lightened). The tube is not made
to hold all xxx pounds of corner weight of a fully laden car. DO NOT jack
on the oil pan, it'll pancake.

> Cheers,
>
> Mark Hooper
> 72 TR6

regards,
rml

p.s. I'm pretty sure the TR6 owner manual has pages about jacking the car
up. This would be a good place to start.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |