Re: GM alternator

To: Tom Lofgren <tom.lofgren@stanfordalumni.org>
Subject: Re: GM alternator
From: David J Stauffacher <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 18:11:18 -0700
Hi Tom,

I did this conversion on my TR6 and didn't have the same alignment problem
using the same GM alternator.  I did have to cut about 1/4 inch off the
front, inside boss on the alternator mounting bracket.  Dan Masters
mentions this is his book.  After that the pulleys lined up.

I used an after market alternator bracket - like you can pick up a Pep
Boys, Kragen, etc.  I cut it to length, drilled a new hole for the bolt
going through the water outlet and painted it black.

If you need more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Dave Stauffacher
Ramona, California
1970 TR6 CP51649

                    Tom Lofgren

                    <tom.lofgren@stanforda       To:     <6pack@autox.team.net>

                    lumni.org>                   cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     GM alternator

                    owner-6pack@autox.team

                    .net

                    06/04/02 10:46 AM

                    Please respond to Tom

                    Lofgren

Hi,

I purchased a GM model 7127 alternator for my '69 TR6 as mentioned in Dan
Master's book, and I had two questions about mounting it.

The first is the "front / back" position.  If I mount it in the same hole
as
the stock alternator, the pulley of the new alternator is about an inch
further forward than the water pump and crankshaft pulley.  Will this work
OK?
 I don't really want my belt falling off all the time.  If it won't work,
what
have people done to align the pulleys better?

The other question is the L-shaped bracket to hold the top of the
alternator.
My stock one isn't long enough for the new alternator.  Are longer brackets
"standard" item you can pick up at a parts store?

Thanks in advance,
Tom L
'69 TR6 CC25230