RE: Steering Rack

To: Richard Seaton <RSH17@msn.com>, Cliff Davies <cdavies@holzher.com>,
Subject: RE: Steering Rack
From: Keith Meinhold <keith@navyboy.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:16:21 -0800
I just finished my front suspension.  Replaced, trunions, tie rod ends,
ball, springs, shocks and all bushings.  I the tie rod (hardly the most
frozen bolt/nuts I had) I was able to get a wrench on the flat spot of the
ends and another on the stop nut.  After much PB blaster, a couple of taps
with a hammer on the offending area they finally came loose. I found pulling
the two wrenches towards each other, gave me the most strength and
confidence. But that is not what I'm really writing about.

I had a crack in the frame bracket, that I was unaware of until I put the
car back together.  Only when the shop could not align the front did I
discover the problem (after fretting I put something in backwards) by
looking at the car with a load on it.  In the air there was enough spring in
the metal to close the gap.  Moral of the story, check the welds on your
bracket (where the lower wishbone connects the frame), as these are an
apparent weak area on early cars, but even reared it ugly "crack" on my '76.

I also found the left front to be much more corroded than the right.  I
wonder if you and others have found this to be the case?  My guess it that
airflow around the car tends to splatter oil on the right side, (therefore
protecting it a bit more) and leaving the left bone dry at the mercy of the
elements.

Good luck

Keith Meinhold
66 Marston Avenue