Re: Steering Rack

To: "Cliff Davies" <cdavies@holzher.com>,
Subject: Re: Steering Rack
From: "Richard Seaton" <RSH17@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:43:00 -0600
Cliff,

  I Just finished the same on my TR Friday.  If you don't mind buggering up
the tie rod ends try using vise grips to hold  the rod that turns. Of course
this will ruin the tie rod end. Use an impact gun on the nut. If that doesn't
work try an air chisel to split the nut, then use the chisel to force the bolt
off the end. There may be a better way, but it worked for me.

 My problem was removing one of the trunions, which seems to be frozen. I
haven't tried to hard to remove it yet. I'm concentrating on cutting out rust
on the frame right now and welding in new pieces. I've got a lot of cutting
and welding to do.

Good luck,
Richard
'69 TR still coming apart.