Re:brake bleeding

To: "'wphilipson@bigfoot.com'" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>,
Subject: Re:brake bleeding
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:50:10 -0700
Walt, how old are the rubber brake hoses at each wheel?  I had a similar
problem with my 76 TR6 until I replaced these.  Apparently the hoses swell
over time from the brake fluid and can constrict the brake fluid flow.  You
can try disconnecting the rubber hose from the wheel cylinder or caliper and
have someone step on the brakes.  If you dont see a nice flow, the hoses are
probably the culprit.  I suppose you probably could remove the rubber brake
hose altogether so that you are seeing the flow unimpeded by the rubber
hose.  You probably should connect a suitable piece of hose so that the
fluid winds up in a jar and not all over your car.

Walt Philipson wrote:

>Having completed the replacement of the rear bushings, springs, and one
>hub, I am attempting to bleed my brakes. My first attempt I used the
>"spousal" method (Only I used the "8 year old son" version) with no
>success. I next used a mity vac pump. After numerous cycles of pumping
>and opening the bleed valve, I only got a few dribbles of fluid out. I then

>tried the front brakes to see if I would have more success. The front
>brakes had not been opened so I thought it would be a good check. I
>couldn't get any fluid out of the fronts either. Am I missing something
>here? It's not like I haven't bled brakes before. It shouldn't be this
hard!