RE: Is there a better brand of Caps and Rotors available?

To: afterburn27@yahoo.com (Matt M.)
Subject: RE: Is there a better brand of Caps and Rotors available?
From: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:54:40 -0800
Dick, Bobs and Ryan:

The rotors that I pull out look just like the ones that I put in! The tip
doesn't appear to be contacting the cap terminals either. I know this
because there's no scuffing apparent on the tip of the rotor or under the
cap.

Right now my theory is that the plastic in the rotor breaks down over time.
At some point the resistance between through the rotor becomes less than the
resistance through the wires and plugs. When this happens the spark travels
through the rotor to the distributor shaft, not through the wires to the
plug.

I looked at one of the bad rotors with a magnifying glass and a strong light
and could not see any cracks or burn marks though. So perhaps my theory
isn't right. I'm going to try an Echlin cap and rotor when they arrive this
week and see how long it lasts.

Thanks,
Don