Re: Persistent Valve Cover leaks

To: "michael lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Persistent Valve Cover leaks
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:07:49 -0400
Hi Mike,

Many of us have had the exact experience you have including the aluminum
cover --- they all leaked.  I think the problem is that the cork gasket is
too hard and just won't seal very well.   The first reaction is to tighten
the nuts holding the cover.  That tends to distort the cover and make it
leak worse.

There was a thread some time back about someone making a silicone gasket but
I don't think it was for a TR6.

I just came in from working on my '76 and noted that the engine is still
clean after several K miles and  6 months.  I think I finally solved the
problem by doing following:

Straighten the cover including pounding out the depressions where the nuts
press against the cover caused by over tightening.

Affix the cork gasket to the cover using gasket cement --- the thin red
stuff.

Set the cover on the bench, gasket side up and put 1/4 inch thick layer of
FORM-A-GASKET #2 non-Hardening sealant on the cork gasket.  Let it set for
15 minutes or so.

Place cover on head being sure not to hit anything that might scrape the
sealant off.

Press cover down just enough so that sealant starts to ooze out from under
cover.

Let set for a few hours and then install washers and nut and tighten just
enough so that the cover seems to be held firmly.

Good Luck

Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6

| Listers,
|
| I am looking for help in regard to an incurable valve cover leak on my
car.  For the past 7 years I have been battling an oil leak(s) in the area
where my valve cover meets the head on my 70 TR6.  In an attempt to cure
this problem I have purchased a Triumphtune aluminum valve cover, changed
heads, blocked the oil passage between the block and the head, replaced the
valve cover gasket numerous times  and put on an auxilary oiler.  I realize
the oiler puts more oil in the valve cover but I have reduced the size of
the line orfice from the block to the head to compensate for this problem.
I have ensured that there is no obstruction from the valve cover to the
carbon canister but the cover still leaks.  I would attribute the leak to
the increased oil flow to the valve cover and/or overpressure in the valve
cover if It hadn't leaked the same way before I installed the auxilary
oiler.  I also get some blow by around the cap on the valve cover but have
triple checked and ensured!
|  that the vent from the valve cover to the carbon canister is free of any
obstruction.

| Does anyone know of a better valve cover gasket?  Does anyone have any
suggestions about how to cure this problem?  Any help will be greatly
appreciated as I'm running short on hair to pull out.