Re: ZS vs. weber carbs

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: ZS vs. weber carbs
From: Bill McIntire <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:47:12 -0400
Dick
Thank you for bringing up the removal of various carb.
parts. Thought of bringing the subject up, but was afraid
there would be strong recommendations to go back and see my
psychologist.  I (or we) have been doing that for a very
long time. It works! Have found it helps if you richen the
mixture, eliminates the hesitation. Makes a lumpy idle,
but..oh well. On 3's and 4's we adjusted the jet down, but
had to move the needle up into the piston on the 6's. Didn't
remove the spring on the 6's so the upward movement of the
piston would be marginally slowed. ZS's have less mass than
SU's and tend to move quicker with no damper. One thing to
be aware of is that in cool or cold weather it will have a
big time hesitation until it's thoroughly warmed up.
BTW my 6 still gets 28 MPG highway with modified carbs., S-2
cam, lot of head work and a 4.30 gear. Other than the cold
hesitation, I have no complaints.
Bill
'70 6