Re: Questions specific to USA bound 1975/76 TR6's

To: haeg1@mninter.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions specific to USA bound 1975/76 TR6's
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:36:38 EST
In a message dated 12/17/2000 1:43:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
haeg1@mninter.net writes:

> I have a few questions specifically relating to 1975(and 1976?) TR6's:

<snip>

> ) I want to eliminated the warning buzzer that goes off when the door is
> opened. What is the best method for doing this?  I was hoping to leave the
> door switch alone, because I believe it also controls the interior light
> near
> the key switch. I disconnected the buzzer, and the ignition was disabled. My
> electrical schematics in the Bentley catalog don't seem to show the buzzer,

John,

Theoretically, only the 1974 model had the ignition interlocked with the seat
belt circuit. For the 1975 year, Triumph used the same seat belt module, but
disabled the starter interlock, and for 1976, a new seat belt warning system
was used. There are several reasons why a 1975/76 model might still have the
interlock - sometimes a model is titled for the year it was sold, rather than
the year it was built; you may have an early 1975 model, and Triumph didn't
make the changeover till after yours was made; Triumph had some left over 74
harnesses, and used on of them in your car; a previous owner may have
replaced the harness; or, hey, it's a Triumph - who knows?

Anyway, the fix is real easy. Look at the round plug going into the seat belt
module. Pin 11 will have a white/red wire, and pin 12 will have a
white/orange wire. Just cut these two wires and connect them together. That
is precisely how the factory defeated the starter interlock on the '75 model.
Be sure to make a good connection, and insulate the wires, as they will be
hot when you turn the key to the start position. Now you can remove the
module with no problems.

As far as I know, there is only one source of accurate wiring diagrams for
all 8 model years of the TR6, and that is my own book "Triumph TR250 - TR6
Electrical Maintenance Handbook." I won't guarantee them to be absolutely
100% accurate either, but they are much more accurate than other sources, and
the errors, if any, are minor.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
http://members.aol.com/danmas/
MGBV8 Newsletter:
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm