2000-register

Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor on a PI saloon

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor on a PI saloon
From: gravee.leafoe@cwcom.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:25:23 +0100
Jon
I have just fitted a Rimmer conversion to my 2500S auto and it appears to have a
shorter element than the Witor one you were supplied with. Please remember the
fundamental reason for the change ie to provide a faster supply of life saving
oil to bearings which are being operated with no oil at all when the engine
starts. Most of the engines I work with at sea have both engine driven and
independent lubrication systems such that if there is no oil pressure detected
they will not start and if loss occurs whilst running they stop very quickly.
Steam turbine systems even have a gravity system which comes into use when the
engine trips to maintain oil supply during slowdown. You would be surprised how
quickly a white metal bearing will heat to 180 deg F whereupon it runs and
journal damage is caused. Such is the importance of lubrication. Automobile
engineers appear to disregard this point probably in the hope of selling us
loadsa bearings. You should mount the cartridge such that it stays full and
primed when the engine is stopped ie hanging vertically down and you should do
it before your seal gasket hardens. The discomfort caused by a routine filter
change will be more than offset by the beaming smile you will get from your
engine for giving it a longer life than it would have with the conventional self
draining filter. A routine I go through when returning home from sea after 4
months is to remove the plugs, apply a squirt of oil in the bores then turn the
engine on the starter motor until the oil light is extinguished. It almost
flattens the battery even with good bearings but it does get the oil to where it
is needed without compression forces coming into play. I haven't had chance to
do this with the new filter but am expecting a quicker pressure build up when I
do.

Rgds
Graham Nelson