[WPTA] Slot Car Racing

Ed Major ejmajortr3a at comcast.net
Thu Mar 5 09:11:50 MST 2015

Slot Car Racing:
  Saturday, March 7, 2015
by Jim Keenan
I hate winter more every year. My favorite activities are undoable due to the “awesome” weather. However, it is the time of year to indulge in another one of my hobbies – slot cars.
Like many of you I had various slot car sets as a child.  Most of that experience was with HO scale cars.  I last played with slot cars in 1972 when I was 14 years old.  That long drought ended Christmas 1999 when my youngest son asked for a 1/32 scale slot car set for Christmas. That single event started a chain of events that has led to what you will witness first hand if you attend, “The Fourth Annual WPTA Slot Car Day”.
The track is: 4 lanes (120 feet) of smooth hand-routed MDF, computer timing/track management that gives lap times to 1/1000th of a second, hand controllers with adjustable sensitivity and braking all powered by a 10 amp adjustable DC power supply. This track is the host to highly detailed 1/32 and 1/24 scale slot cars.
The plan is to meet at Perkin’s restaurant in Cranberry, PA at 9:00 am for breakfast. Depart at 10:00 am for my home at:  7921 Cliff View Drive, Poland, OH  44514. My cell phone is (330) 402-0707. After approximately a 45 minute drive we will arrive for an enjoyable day of adult beverages (BYOB), food, slot car ”smack” talk  (disparaging comments about one’s lack of skills).
The address for Perkin’s is: 20013 Route 19, Cranberry Township, PA 16066. For those who want to skip breakfast, please arrive at my house no earlier than 11:00 am.
We will race until the onset of slot car fatigue.