[TR] working on control head for horn and turn indicator, 1957 TR3

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue May 18 15:53:17 MDT 2021

Dave,

Looks correct. But once you loosen the gland nut, the oil from the
steering box will drip out while you work on the repair. Makes quite a
mess. In order to prevent the mess, make a funnel of sorts to guide the
oil into a pan. Dont forget to fill the box after repair is complete.
Also, make sure the wires that are pulled up through the column are as
tight as possible. I have always taped them so they stay in place. Very
tight fit. It is also a good idea to tie a nylon string to the bottom of
the wire harness so it is easier to guide the re-fit by keeping tension
on the string/wires as the tube is lowered back in the column. This will
require a helping hand. Also dont forget to disconnect the battery
before you start with the wires.

Remember the horn/signal assembly is 60 years old and will tend to be
quite brittle. Handle with care as they are easy to crack.

Bob