[TR] Grade 2 lock nuts

Greg Donovan greg at gregoryd.com
Fri May 14 09:06:07 MDT 2021

A related by different question:

My instinct here, almost always, would be to err on the side of higher grades. Rated for 2, put a 3 on.

One disadvantage with this approach is cost: higher grades, more money.

Other than higher cost, are there other disadvantages to using a higher grade than absolutely needed?

Are there situations where the lower grade is preferable? E.g., if something's going to fail under stress, you’d rather it be a grade 2 bolt than the expensive component it’s securing.

—Greg