[TR] would any of you re-use head studs?

Steve Kirby sackirby at chinaautogroup.com
Tue Mar 9 12:25:23 MST 2021

Modern engines use a “stretch to clamp” type of head stud which maintains the torque.  These are a “one and done” part and cannot be reused, which has given rise to the myth that head studs should always be replaced.  Our old cars were not that technically sophisticated.  As long as the old studs show no signs of corrosion or other physical damage, there is no reason not to reuse them.  I would chase the threads on both the studs and nuts to be sure there is no binding which would give you a false torque reading.  I use the blue thread locker on the end that goes into the block and anti-seize on the nut end (though that is a subject of some debate).

Steve Kirby
President
China Auto Group
22831 Avenida Empresa