[TR] TR3A Rear Brakes

Steve Kirby sackirby at chinaautogroup.com
Wed Jul 21 16:07:59 MDT 2021

This is a typical problem with drum brakes, especially if they are worn and/or have sat around a long time.  Usually caused by a "lip" on the outer edge of the drum surface that is hanging up on the brake shows as you try to pull it free.

  1.  Be sure that the adjusters are all the way retracted (see the service manual for how they work).
  2.  Remove the brake lines from the brake cylinders from the rear of the backing plate, or at the feed hose to be sure there is no residual pressure trapped in the line or cylinder.
  3.  You must get the locked up side free or it will never come off.  Try to get it rotating.
  4.  Also take the emergency brake cable off both sides and be sure it's not that system which has the shoes locked.
  5.  I think you can take the hydraulic cylinder loose from the back side of the backing plate.  That would free up the upper part of both shoes.
  6.  The shoes are held to the backing plate by two little "nails" that insert from the back of the backing plate, go through a spring and then lock with a cup inside the drum.  You can grind off the "head" of the "nails" from the back of the backing plate, thereby further freeing up the shoes.
  7.  Bottom line is that you need to get the shoes retracted (and unstuck) from the drum to get them off.
  8.  If all else fails, go to AutoZone and borrow the biggest three arm puller they have.

Steve Kirby
President
China Auto Group
22831 Avenida Empresa