[TR] Fo8 Sealants Question and List Responses

adcronin adcronin at mi.rr.com
Mon Feb 8 13:45:01 MST 2021

RESULTS OF Fo8 SEALANT THREAD—Thanks again to all who contributed

We had around 25 responses of one sort or another, several good suggestions and a couple of “heads up”  regarding “aggressive” motor oil potential reaction with some sealants.
Most popular with 7 users was HYLOMAR BLUE
Next was PERMATEX AVIATION with 5 users
Then came YAMABOND #5 with 3 users
Followed by unspecified SILICONE with 2 users
COPPER COAT,  PERMATEX BROWN and INDIAN HEAD SHELLAC each had 1 user
Several responders suggested that perhaps if the mating surfaces (see below) were in good shape then no sealant al all might be the way to go...
One responder (with a couple of like minded individuals)suggested using an old liner cleaned up and true as a sort of hone to polish the “land” in the block.  This might also work to emphasize highs and lows in the land if a bit of Prussian blue was applied to the land prior to using the “hone”.