[TR] Converting from DOT3 to DOT5 hydraulic fluid in my TR4A

Greg Lemon grglmn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:41:18 MDT 2021

I started using DOT 5 about twenty years ago.  I have been driving British
cars for over 40 years, the first twenty were filled with frequent
hydraulic rebuilds and hardware replacement, seems like something would go
on a car every year or two when I was running DOT 3.

Until recently my experience with DOT5 was very good.  Then my brake master
cylinder went out a couple years ago, when I inspected it there was visible
corrosion on the bottom of the bore (installed new about 9 years prior, car
has led a sheltered life since).  I have pictures of it somewhere, but too
lazy to dig up now.

My conclusion was water got in the system, pooled at the bottom of the
bore, and led to a leak.

So my experience with DOT5 is mixed, I still think I have fewer leaks with
it, and when it does leak it doesn't eat paint.   After replacing the
various hydraulic bits I am still running DOT 5, but I don't trust the
school of thought that you don't need to flush or flush the fluid as often.

I have not noticed any more difficulty in bleeding or mushy pedal.

I know this is always a hot topic, and my conclusions are by no means based
on any scientific study, but I am comfortable enough with them to share
with the group with no reservations.

Greg Lemon, TR250