[TR] My TR4 Carb Overhaul or: 52 yrs / 5 Decades of Triumphing

staffel staffel at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 16:51:45 MDT 2021

A little background: for those who don't recall my Full Restoration posts 1997-2000. Original CD carbs. Serviced, Rebuilt many many times. 6 yrs ago had fuel pump problem ln club night drive in Catoctin Mts. Blessed to have made it to Motel in Frederick MD. Next day cleaned fuel pump but found very weak diaphram. Made it home in 6 sequences. Bought new fuel pump TRF. Had fitting issues ( previously discussed). Decided to convert to elec pump.  Made blanking plate. Positioned pump on frame rail. Drained tank. Fresh 3 gal. Same Glass fuel filter  as I put on my 62 Buick Skylark 215 Alum V8. (Original engine in orig car vs Rover/ Land Rover in an MGB or whatever).This was last fall. Put in pump I have had. In fact Two pumps were bad. Finally got pump that delivered plenty of fuel. Carbs flooding out. Yup last rebuikd turned out to be 10 yrs ago. 20 yrs ago Joe Curto sealed  (then unobtainable) CD floats.Now end of November 20. So contacted Joe. Bought all new EVERYTJING: Gaskets, 0 rings, Jets, Floats, Diaphrams. Took carbs with me to C19 Florida. Rebuilt carbs meticulessly to specs ( as always) with friend Bill Russell (now on Satellite Beach after years of S Florida) who knew me & the TR4 well in 1970 when it was my ONLY CAR. Drove TR4 from Okla to NMexico to Calif, to Colorado, to T' and 4 trips Okla to NYC, Rome NY. Even Woodstock traffic jam. Fall 1969. This was before the E types & V12 Jags with 4 carbs. Never ever had problems tuning any Syromberg: TR4 or tge 4  CD2s on Lotus 907s ( Jensens) or V12 Jags.Back from our snowbird East Coast Florida Resorts winter escapes in March. C19 protocols gave me time to clean / prep carbs for final rebuild b4 my day with friend Bill Last week finally installed carbs, linkages, fuel lines. Detailed everything. New Battery. Wired pump to ignition feed. Primed carbs. Confirmed good fuel delivery. NO LEAKS. Ten years ago had to used RTV to seal mixture control knob 0 rings that didn't (seal). This time I inspected the orifice in the fuel bowl carefully and used dremel tool & emory paper to super smooth the fuel bowl orifice.Set Mixtures at 2 turns out. My notes usually confirmed that 2- 2.5 turns out usually give the perfect idle. Turned on ignition, Pulled the choke out full. Pressed the wonderful original stock Solenoid starter button and VARROOM- Instant start.  Let engine Warm up some, began to remove choke. And this is where- my never seen in 52 yrs problem started. The engine leans out immediately with butterfly opening action. The pistons begin to rise as they should - BUT- Immediately backfire, popping in muffler, etc. Enriched mixture another 1/2 turn. Just slightly better. Can rev engine quickly to 3000rpm but no more. Still backfires & dies.Engine eas hard starting like flooded. Finally got it running with starter fluid.At 2.5 turns out engine will stay running 8 mins. But still leans outand won't accelerate normally. But started to rain hard and had to close Garage/ workshop doors. British perfume very strong.Reset Mixtures at 3 turns out. Will try again.I just don't ever remember mixture being such an issue nor 3 or 4 turns out. Pistons move in housing smoothly & diaphrams, like everything else is brand new.Maybe should add couple gallons fresh gas too.To be Continued. Just wanted to share my Progress, and current diagnosis.  Do have a colortune, but not there yet to fine tune. Recently helped a TR6 owner friend with CD2 tune. Found throttle shaft worn. Multiple vacuum leaks. Got the idle down to 600 cold and 1200 hot from 2200 after his engine swap.CDs have none of that emissions crap of the CD2s. Just a choke bar.BTW Jaguar gave a spec for closed butterfly opening to be .002 Need to fine  balance the 2 carbs onxe I get the engine to accelerate withoit leaning out. Just for Tech: My needles are centered and did not appear to be damaged in anyway. Will keep playing till the Triumph - TRIUMPHS!!!ShermanSherman D Taffel65 TR4CT50054L (per VTR- last known TR4 brought to USColumbia, MD 21045410-302-3930(List member since mid 90s)Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable ? DUMBphone